Friday, April 2, 2010

A Round of...

I am well aware that we all have our own individual hang-ups, likes and dislikes. One of mine is clapping during Worship—I bristle at it. In a concert hall, in a theatre, at a performance, I’m clapping away. Not at Worship. We don’t physically affirm scripture readers or Ensemble or Choir. My sermons are not met by applause. These portions of Worship may rouse a few words of enthusiasm to be sure but no one claps after these pieces conclude.

Calvary does typically clap whenever our young people lead us in Worship—be it the Music Makers or Children’s Choir or Youth Choir. I believe that doing so does God, our young people and ourselves a disservice.

Calvary is a Baptist church and far be it from me to urge folks to suppress the movement of the Spirit. However, I think it is important to note that when our children or youth sing (or contribute in other ways during service) they are leading in worship. They are not performing. There is a profound difference between the two. Soren Kierkegaard, the 19th century Danish churchman, noted that in worship the Triune God is the audience. I agree with him: everything we do on Sunday mornings during our service is directed to praise, thank and please our Lord. It’s directed to Him, not to us.

[This fact stands in sharp contrast to the contemporary view that churches are a version of consumables, to be tried and sampled until one is found pleasing to the taste. Under this guise, the Church exists to serve parishioners, not the Great High Priest. Congregants become the audience--to be entertained and dazzled and recruited. This is a future blog post.]

Which brings me back to clapping: when we clap after our young people lead us, we are directing praise to them. All praise and affirmation in Worship should go to God alone. I do believe that we can affirm God and those who enhance our experience with God. This is typically done with a hearty Amen or some other phrase.

That said I can bristle if I must. But, if you are going to clap, direct it to the Lord of Hosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment