Monday, April 5, 2010

A seat at the table...

As Calvary was in the midst of Holy Week worship last week, I was struck by the Gospel witness that Judas was at the table for the Last Supper. Maybe you are well aware of this; I passively knew this too. As we celebrated Maundy Thursday it hit me that Judas had an intentional seat at that table.

The Gospels record Judas’ betrayal and that Jesus foreknew this. The Wednesday of Holy Week is the day on the church calendar that recalls Judas agreeing to hand over Christ for the 30 pieces of silver. We rarely treat those who wish to do us harm as friends. If anything, we seek to distance ourselves from them. We certainly aren’t going to cook a meal and wash their feet and speak of loving them. But that’s what Jesus did.

If Jesus saved a seat for Judas then I reckon that you and I have a seat at that table too.

From time to time, I’ll post what I’ve read lately. I love book referrals so feel free to recommend things to me.

· Harry Emerson Fosdick’s Riverside Sermons. It’s a collection of messages he gave at Riverside Baptist during his tenure.

· A lengthy biography of Richard Wagner, titled Richard Wagner: Last of the Titans.

No comments:

Post a Comment