Saturday, September 3, 2011

graffiti on creation


On Wednesday morning, my youngest woke me up saying, "Daddy, the eggs broke." I immediately noticed that 1)it's dark outside, 2)it's 4:30am, 3)the hallway light is on meaning someone has been up and 4)Samantha is butt-naked. I next wondered 1)why is she up, 2)where are her clothes, 3)where is her sister, 4)what eggs, 5)where did they break?

I got up as Sami took me in hand downstairs--to a natural disaster area. These two cherub like demons had utilized a step stool to 1)empty most of the refrigerator, 2)pull down and empty a utility shelf, 3)gain access to spray paint. I discovered a mess of tools, craft products, matches (by grace all unlit) in the kitchen.

I find twin A in the den, also stark naked. And, of course, eggs broken on carpet as the girls seemingly attempted to replicate cooking breakfast on the coffee table. With bread, crackers and some sandwich meet added for taste, not to leave out the bars of chocolate under the couch cushions, it was a smorgasbord.

Realizing that I was out of my element, I quickly got Julie out of bed and we began cleanup. Aside from some unedible food and junked craft parts, we got things in order. With one exception: spray paint.

I don't know why we had spray paint somewhere else than in the garage, with the other paint, but we had a can that the girls got to in the kitchen utility cabinet. The girls proceeded to spray one another's hands, the back wall of the kitchen, door and all. I give Jesus thanks that they didn't spray their eyes or into their mouths. And, of course, we can repaint--and will have to do this as you can see. We may also need to put bells or warning alarms so that the girls don't get up and wander off again.

Reflecting on this episode, and having the visual constant, I wonder how analogous it is to how we treat Creation. God created everything in proper place. It was beautiful and neat and proper. Humanity then emptied the fridge, pulled out some drawers and spray painted all over everything. And here we are, with a mess to clean up and most of the world needing a coat of paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment